Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Churn on...Monday?

So I know churning is supposed to happen on Thursdays, but I couldn't wait that long. I did my churning on a Monday. Laura first describes this process on pages 29-32* of Little House in the Big Woods: "At first the splashes of cream showed thick and smooth around the little hole. After a long time, they began to look grainy. Then Ma churned more slowly, and on the dash there began to appear tiny grains of yellow butter." (31).

I made myself a butter churn out of an old plastic peanut butter jar and a wooden spoon. I know many elementary school classes just put it in a jar and shake it, and apparently you can also just use a mixer.



After making my butter churn (with the help of an Xacto knife), I grated half a carrot and microwaved it for 45 seconds with 2 T skim milk and 1 T heavy cream (to make the yellow color, as described on page 30). Then I strained it and cooled it for about an hour. I poured the milk/cream mixture into my churn and then added enough heavy cream for it to be filled halfway (a little over a half cup).



I churned for about two hours (while watching Ace of Cakes), alternating twirling the spoon in my hands and stirring. Once it was finished, I rinsed it and salted it. The final step--eating it. It tasted like...butter!

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog - but I call you on microwaving the carrot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hallie! I love your blog. Great photo of you, too. Looking forward to reading what's next, and tasting some of it, too.

    ReplyDelete